August 3, 2014

Crocheted saucer fascinator

Rachel Trevor Morgan has made a lot of beautiful hats and fascinators. One of them - a saucer fascinator (probably made in sinamay)- inspired me to try to make one like it - by crocheting. It is not so difficult to make. Below I will try to describe how I made it.



This is Sara wearing the fascinator -from hatpresentation 23. June.
 


You need yarn and crochet hook (I used Cotton yarn to match hook No.3), a headband/Alice band made in of plastic with fabric draped around it (you get them in the Craft-shop) And you need some material to make it stay in shape. I used sinamy (millinary).







Crochet a circle, or the desired shape. This one is 25 cm wide. 

 
I used dc's - fastmasker.
 
 
Inside the fascinator I put sinamy (wich I had ironed) to make it hold the shape.
 
On the backside I stiched on silk fabric.
 
I pinned the fabric on, before I hand stiched it.



I would recommend to edge the fascinator with something, like a silk ribbon etc. This fascinator was made for the hatpresentation in June - and I did not have time to edge it.

 

The difficult part is to attach the saucer fascinator to the headband. I used sewingneedle that are shaped as a half circle. You might try to cut out a round piece of fabric - about 5-6 cm wide and stich this on the headband first (If you don't have sinamay, use some kind of thick wool fabric). Then you stich the fascinator to the fabric circle. And - almost every fabric shows so make sure to use the same colour.



 

No comments: